Sunday, July 03, 2005

Mama gets married

Daughter dddragon suggested that I post about my mother. Of course we never called her "mother." My three sisters and I called her Mama all of our lives. Mama was a hoot. She was a tiny little thing, claimed to be five foot one. More like five foot nothing. I was taller than she was by the time I was ten. Probably weighed more too. She weighed 88 pounds most of the time. Got all the way up to 114 before she died. What a tub of lard.

Once when I was visiting my sister Doris, we started talking about how much family information was being lost almost daily, because the older generation was dying off. I mentioned that a friend of mine had been hired by a rich guy in New York to interview his older relatives and to tape those conversations. Doris got the idea that I should go over and interview Mama using a tape recorder. Sounded good to me.

Doris thought that I should start out by asking about Mama and Daddy's getting married. She was particularly interested in the names of the couple who had gone with Mama and Daddy when they eloped. We'd both heard these names before, but neither of us remembered them.

So I took Doris' tape recorder and off I went to Mama's apartment. I'm guessing Mama was about 85 or so then, and time was awastin'.

Mama took to the idea of being interviewed just fine. She was tickled in fact. I started out by asking the names of the couple who took part in the elopement. She told me the names.

Darn tape recorder wasn't working right. Drat. I fool around with the recorder some. Take the batteries out. Put them back in. Like that. I'm amazing with machinery. Real genius. Start again. S**t. Thing is just not working right. I decide to take notes, and come back with the recorder later. You know, get a few things down, in case one of us dies overnight. I was betting it wouldn't be Mama.

Okay, we start again. Mama described the scene. This couple has a car, Daddy doesn't--he's a student at Memphis State College (now University), and he's home on some kind of semester break.

It's winter; they're all in winter coats. Why is this important, I'm wondering? Mama and Daddy are in the back seat. Okay, this seems like a lot of detail. I mean, we're just driving to the wedding chapel, right? They get to the preacher's house. Mama says that she believes that he's probably eating his dinner at the time. Gee, this is a LOT of detail. Get to the wedding.

I'm guessing they had maybe called ahead? This is 1930 -- they DID have phones. Anyway, the preacher comes out to the car, and leans into the opened window, and marries them. WAIT! WHAT?!?

"You didn’t get out of the car?! You sat in the car? You were MARRIED IN A CAR?" I could not believe it! "Mama, you and Daddy got married still in the $%#@ car? You never even left the car?"

Well, I have to say she got a little huffy. Pulled her little self right up straight. Looked a bit peeved. "It's perfectly legal," she said. "You want to see the marriage license? It's right in my bedroom."

Those guys. I have no idea what the names of the other couple were. Lost my train of thought completely.

16 comments:

Fred said...

Wonderful story. I guess they didn’t have very far to go to consummate the marriage.

My parents are coming over in a few weeks; I may have to ask them a thing or two based on this post. I may learn something...

mireille said...

this is great. I like the part where she gets huffy and draws herself up to her full height ... of five foot nothing. heh.

SavtaDotty said...

The first drive-in wedding! How American!

TLP said...

Actually, Fred, they didn't consummate the marriage then. The couple with the car took Mama right home, and Daddy caught his ride back to Memphis to school. They didn't see each other for two months! They wanted to keep the marriage a secret for the time being, but the other couple had loose lips, and the word got out.

dddragon said...

ROFL ~ this story gets me every time!! {wiping the tears out of my eyes ... chuckle}

GodlessMom said...

What a great story! At least we know where the Pez ladies get their spark!

Jamie Dawn said...

I've never heard that one before. Drive through marriage. Could be a money maker for Old Hoss.

Loved the story. Hope there's more of them about "Mama."

Have a wonderful July 4th holiday!

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Grat story...Adds a good meaning to the world huffy.

BTW: Now that Bonnie is gone, I hope you are feeling a bit more peaceful, and wish you and yours a joyful 4th.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Ah, Lucy, you are SO funny. This is another gasser.

(Bring Bonnie back, too. Sniff.)

A Little Bar of Soap said...

What kind of filth is this? Getting married in a CAR? And you must consummate the marriage ON THE WEDDING NIGHT.

I won't even dignify fred's idea of consummating a marriage in a car. Devil, get thee OUT!

Lila said...

That is such an awesome story.

But I think Sister Soapy is right -- if you don't consummate the marriage on the wedding night, the DEVIL consummates it for the groom! That's how I heard it.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Nothing is new. I learned a few years ago that no matter WHAT I do, there are old people that have done it and worse.

Pecos Blue said...

Great story and one of those that seems like it could only happen in America! Happy Belated 4th.

Doug The Una said...

That's a fantastic story. My grandfather never liked to tell any family history except his football career until my grandmother died. After that, in any 30 minute audience he would tell of meeting "the beautiful dark-haired angel with the smile that warmed your heart" at least once and cried every time.

Ken said...

Great story. Wish I had gotten these kinds of stories from my Grandparents. Good for you.

amarkonmywall said...

This is the third wonderful "mama" post I've read since stopping by from Hoss' place. What a delightful woman.
Lucky you to draw her as your mum.