Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Just another day

Well this day was a total waste of make-up.

During the night I finished the fifth Harry Potter Book. Now I have to get my hands on number six.

Meanwhile, the modem that I ordered to install DSL on my PC arrived. So I start installing it only to discover that I don't have a NIC card port. I thought I did. Nope. Some days.

So I take the hubby out for lunch, take him to the doctor for a blood test, and then drop by Circuit City to buy an Ethernet adaptor.

The guy who waited on me was a damn ray of sunshine. Sarcasm seems to be just one more service they offer. So, my PC is four years old. According to him, it's out of date. BUT, he'll do me a favor and sell me the Network PCI Card if I really, really, want to try to install it myself. Some guys. If assholes could fly, that place would be an airport. That isn't a computer place. It's hell with fluorescent lighting.

So, I get home with the Ethernet PCI card, and discover that I have left the directions for the DSL installation there at Circuit City. Urge to kill....myself. I call them, and they have it and will hold it for me. I don't think I need it, but I guess I'll go back and get it, just in case.

What kills me is that this young guy figures that anyone with white hair can't possibly know how to open up the PC, locate the PCI expansion slots inside, insert the PCI card into an available slot, and then plug the network cable into the newly installed PCI Card.

There are undoubtedly many people my age who can do this. Now, I may or may not be one of them, but he doesn't know that. Am I ambivalent about trying this? Well, yes and no.

But I'm not tense about it, just terribly, terribly alert.

12 comments:

Doug The Una said...

That post tickled me. Condescending to grandmothers is how you end up in flourescent hell for eternity. By the way, I offer sarcasm and there's no markup.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hah! That's funny. We having Fried Lucy with our burgers?

mireille said...

"If assholes could fly, that place would be an airport." LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
And, yes, best to stay alert. xoxoxo

The Lazy Iguana said...

If you want to borrow my shotgun, I will mail it to you. I will even leave the #1 buckshot in the magazine tube. My shotgun holds 9 shells in the tube +1 in the chamber, more than enough firepower to take down a Circut City. I will even leave the folding stock on it.

I will not rat you out. When you are finished, just dump the shotgun in the nearest deep body of water. I will not really want it back.

And if anybody asks, you got the shotgun from a tall dude who wears a turban and lives in a cave in Afganistan.

Jamie Dawn said...

Well, you had makeup on so I'm sure you dazzled everyone all day long, even that nitwit!
Now for book number six. Get to reading, cause I want to hear your thoughts...

Saur♥Kraut said...

A beautifully written, marvellous post (again). I have a close relative who's in his late 60s and has a PhD in Computers. Yet, I find that there are times it startles people to discover that this elderly gentleman has a DEGREE in that field. As if computers haven't been around for at least 30 years...

Fred said...

OMG - I just about fell off my chair. Something about an airport...

The Missus absolutely hates Circuit City. Everytime I mention I'm going there for something, she starts the pre-recorded "I hate CC speech."

(What's a PCI expansion slot?)

dddragon said...

Mom, I cannot imagine anyone treating you that way and you letting them get away with it!

Remember the time I took the Rambler for my drivers test and the idle was set way too high? The tester said to you something like "how could you bring her in a car that wasn't functioning correctly" and you said something like "back off lady, what's your badge number?" That test ended up not counting ...

Lila said...

LOL! Pretty funny, Tan! Yeah, you've mellowed with age.

Shane said...

I liked the airport line. Good one. I'd shudder hugely having to go anywhere called 'Circuit City'. *Shudder*

TLP said...

Got the Ethernet PCI card in just fine. Damn modem is defective. Arrrrrgh. They'll get a new one out by Monday.

amarkonmywall said...

Hate circuit city. Face it- makeup is a waste most any day. T.D. used to call it "mark up." :-)