Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day



The weekend is here. A weekend of sales, picnics, fun and games.

I have no objection to any of those. And I am almost a pacifist. Almost. Not quite. So I'm not a fan of things military.

I remember when I was a kid that if there was a man on the street anywhere, he was in uniform. My father was in the navy, and he is buried in a military cemetery. (He was not killed during the war.) I just noticed that I wrote "the war." That's WWII. Young as I was, that war made a big impression on me.

I hope you have a great weekend. There's nothing wrong with having fun. But, if you have a minute, do think of those men and women who gave their lives in defense of The United States of America. I don't happen to agree with some of the wars we have fought since WWII, but IMHO I think we owe the fallen in those wars at least a show of respect.

8 comments:

Doug The Una said...

Very good advice. I'll take it.

Libby said...

i'll take it, too, tlp...thanks!

Rachel said...

Amen to that!!!

Pat said...

I just could not forget those cut down in the flower of their youth of all nations. Ever.

Fred said...

Totally agree. Happy Memorial Day.

lime said...

i really could not agree more.

Logophile said...

Yeah,
what you said.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I agree with you TLP....I too don't agree with almost any of the wars we have fought since WW2...But I do believe with all my heart, that the men and women who fought in these wars---in ALL the wars before, too, deserve our respect and our Honor.
I hope you had a lovely weekend my dear....And here we are in the middle of another one...And it is almost "Rabbit Rabbit" time, once again....!