Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day



The weekend is here. A weekend of sales, picnics, fun and games.

I have no objection to any of those. And I am almost a pacifist. Almost. Not quite. So I'm not a fan of things military.

I remember when I was a kid that if there was a man on the street anywhere, he was in uniform. My father was in the navy, and he is buried in a military cemetery. (He was not killed during the war.) I just noticed that I wrote "the war." That's WWII. Young as I was, that war made a big impression on me.

I hope you have a great weekend. There's nothing wrong with having fun. But, if you have a minute, do think of those men and women who gave their lives in defense of The United States of America. I don't happen to agree with some of the wars we have fought since WWII, but IMHO I think we owe the fallen in those wars at least a show of respect.

10 comments:

Doug said...

Very good advice. I'll take it.

Libby said...

i'll take it, too, tlp...thanks!

actonbell said...

I totally agree. And in many ways, WWII was THE war that had to be fought. And I just feel horrible for all the young people who have died in wars and their families need this remembrance. Well said:)

See you soon, too.

Rachel said...

Amen to that!!!

PI said...

I just could not forget those cut down in the flower of their youth of all nations. Ever.

Fred said...

Totally agree. Happy Memorial Day.

lime said...

i really could not agree more.

Logophile said...

Yeah,
what you said.

OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I agree with you TLP....I too don't agree with almost any of the wars we have fought since WW2...But I do believe with all my heart, that the men and women who fought in these wars---in ALL the wars before, too, deserve our respect and our Honor.
I hope you had a lovely weekend my dear....And here we are in the middle of another one...And it is almost "Rabbit Rabbit" time, once again....!

actonbell said...

Rabbit, rabbit! Thanks for the good times this weekend:)