Monday, May 04, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo


I love Cinco de Mayo. First of course, there's the food. I love it. But the entire thing is fun. If you're in the right place.

The best Cinco de Mayo I've ever had was in 2002. We were in San Antonio. Niks and I were on one of our long road trips. My sister Doris and her husband flew to San Antonio and met us there.

I scanned some photos of Doris and me in our sombreros at the Mexican Market there, but you think I could get them to upload to blogger? Noooooo. Sh*t. That blogger.

I guess they're too large.

All I can say is you missed a real treat.

Of course we toured The Alamo and all that good stuff.


Doris especially wanted to see Ft. Sam Houston again. She spent a year there when she was 18.

Only Doris and I knew why it was so important to her. That Doris. Rascal.

She was terminally ill at the time of this visit to old San Antone. But she still had a couple of years left. She and I spent much of that time together.

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Have a drink on me and Doris.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately around here it isn't safe for people with pasty white skin to take part in Cinco de Mayo festivities. The excuse that I'm a little bit Indian wouldn't hold much water either.

Nessa said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo. A celebration for a condiment - neat.

Doug The Una said...

I'll toast Doris and you and Niks, for sure. Then I'll check my email inbox for the sombrero photo.

Fred said...

When I lived in Miami, we would take a half a day and head down to Eighth Street (Calle Ocho) and enjoy the festivities.

I'm off this week due to a potential swine flu issue at my school, so I'll celebrate all week.

San Antonio is a beautiful city. Great pictures.

kenju said...

Mr. kenju and I once spent the day in Tijuana on Cinco de Mayo. It was great fun; they had parades with firetrucks, policemen and the mayor, just like we here in the US do on July 4th.

Libby said...

well, tlp, i voted today, & i'll make nachos for dinner! if i had any tequila, i'd drink it in honor of you & doris! ...well, a coke will have to do...

Pat said...

I'm guessing it's the fifth of May and it's only 6am here but cheers to you and Doris.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How great that you got to spend this time with your dear sister....Now, I want to know what happened during that year she was there.....lol! It sounds quite intriguing...!
Someone said on their blog that this lovely fun Holiday started here in Califoenia around 1967....And I have a vague memory of that! It is such a Happy Holiday...Great Food and Great Music, too! And, The Costumes....FABULOUS!

The Lazy Iguana said...

Es my favorite day en all of May...